Around Washington D.C.
Beyond Washington D.C. the historic cities of Williamsburg and Gettysburg offer visitors an insight into America’s past with living museums and important historical sites including the famous Gettysburg Battlefields.
Also nearby are the cities of Lancaster, located in the heart of Amish country, and pretty Charlottesville, which acts as the gateway to the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Our expert staff will help you create the holiday that’s right for you and make sure everything runs smoothly for you
Call 0333 234 0922 orEnquire online
Discover The Region
Travel outside of the nation’s capital and there are a host of towns and cities to be explored. Popular amounts these are:
Gettysburg – The site of one of the bloodiest battle in the American Civil War. Here you can visit the battle fields and learn about life as a Civil War Soldier.
Lancaster – A city at the heart of Amish country, where visitors can learn about the ways of the Amish and experience first hand how they live today.
Charlottesville – Ranked as one of the best cities to live in the USA, Charlottesville is home to the University of Virginia and acts as a gateway to the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Colonial Williamsburg – A historic town in Virginia boasting a full living museum that depicts life in colonial times.
Things to do around Washington D.C.
- Visit the Battlefields at Gettysburg National Military Park
- Wander the exhibits at the Gettysburg Museum of History
- See the monuments at the Gettysburg National Cemetery
- Learn about the ways of the Amish on a farm tour
- Experience the thrill rides at the Dutch Wonderland
- Walk, hike or just enjoy the scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Do a walking tour around the University of Virginia
- Tour around Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
- Go back in time at the Williamsburg Historic District
- Visit Jamestown, and Yorktown for a lesson in colonial history
By Road – Hire a car from one of the regions many depots and hit the road. The best cities to do this from are Washington D.C and Philadelphia.
By Rail – On Amtrak’s network, you can reach well-known destinations in the region. Go direct; or stop along the way to see the sights.
By Air – Direct flights from the UK and most major cities to Washington D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia.
Getting around the region couldn’t be easier. It is generally considered that the best way to explore is by renting a car and driving yourself around. From Washington D.C. or Philadelphia, it’s simple to pick up a car and drive straight out of the city in to these exciting and historic towns and cities.
With regular rail and bus connections, if driving isn’t for you, then there are still plenty more options to help travel around. For help and advice, speak to a Freedom America expert.
Why Freedom America
- Expert staff who have travelled in America
- Friendly advice and professional service
- Make the most of your time and budget
- Free planning service
Designed for you
- Holidays designed around your requirements
- Pick and choose the places you want to visit
- Wide range of travelling and touring options
- One consultant to make all your arrangements
- Tailor made service at package tour price
- Superbly located hotels that are best in their class
- Many extras and local charges included
- Book now with a low deposit and pay later
Peace of Mind
- Freedom Destinations is a leading UK travel company
- Independent & established for over 15 years
- Your holiday is fully ABTA and ATOL protected
- 5 star customer reviews